Minutes of a Special Meeting of the Zope Foundation
Date and Time: Friday, December 12, 2008, 17:00 UTC
Location: IRC meeting, irc://irc.freenode.net/#zope-foundation
* Eric Casteleijn (representing Infrae) who holds the proxies of
Andreas Jung and Jens Vagelpohl.
* Rob Miller
* Stephan Richter who holds the proxy of Alec Mitchell
* Jan Smith
* Aroldo Souza-Leite (representing Gfu Cyrus Cologne)
* Sidnei da Silva
* Christian Zagrodnick (representing Gocept and himself)
* Daniel Havlik who holds the proxies of Christian Theune and Thomas
* Dmitry Vasiliev
* Jim Fulton who holds proxies of Amos Latteier, Mark Hammond and
* Florian Lindner
* Jodok Batlogg (representing Lovely Systems)
* Gary Poster
* Tres Seaver
* Martijn Faassen who holds the proxies of Philipp von Weitershausen
and Tarek Ziadé
* Chris McDonough
* Kiran Jonnalagadda
* Albertas Agejevas
* Marius Gedminas
* Lennart Regebro
* Rocky Burt
* Chris Withers
* Zachery Bir
* Brian Sutherland
* Sathya Rangaswamy (representing Zeomega)
* Martijn Pieters
* Rob Page (representing Zope Corporation and himself)
* Fred Drake Jr.
* Benji York
* Janko Hauser
The chairman calls the meeting to order at 17h00m UTC.
The agenda is accepted as follows:
* introduction to the new bylaws
* revoking of proxies
* voting results
Introduction to the new bylaws
The chairman welcomes the attending members. He explains that the
current bylaws were based on those of the Eclipse foundation, which
shortly after adoption were discovered to be too heavyweight for the
kind of organization the Zope Foundation aims to be. Evolving the
existing bylaws into something more appropriate and manageable was
attempted but failed.
The proposed bylaws are based on the bylaws of the Python Software
Foundation, with some improvements that the PSF itself is intending to
implement. They were also brought into line with the fact that the
Zope Foundation expects to conduct most of its meetings and
The major differences between the current and the proposed bylaws are:
* Making changes to the bylaws becomes easier.
* There will be only three classes of members:
1. Nominated Members, an individual and free membership that
replaces the old 'committer' and 'associate' memberships. There
will no longer be any formal relation between being a Zope
Committer and becoming a Foundation Member.
2. Sponsorship Members, members who financially sponsor the
3. Emeritus Members, members who retired from active membership.
Tres Seaver moves that the Foundation adopt the new bylaws as proposed
Stephan Richter seconds the motion.
Revoking of proxies
No members who sent in a proxy form are present.
The secretary explains the voting procedures, and calls the members to
vote one by one.
Out of 52 members (of all classes) 41 were present in person or by
proxy, and those present voted unanimously for the motion, which means
the motion is carried, and the new bylaws are adopted.
The chairman thanks everyone for attending and for their vote, and
extends happy holiday wishes to all.
The chairman adjourns the meeting at 18h12m UTC.
These minutes were written by the secretary, Eric Casteleijn,
according to the notes taken during the meeting.
These minutes were posted to the email@example.com mailing
list and approved by all directors on 2008-02-24.
The Chairman bid the Secretary keep these minutes on file.